Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gratitude

Along the same lines as my last post, here are the words to one of the most profound prayers I've heard lately, Nichole Nordeman's "Gratitude."

Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again 
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely you can see that we are thirsty and afraid

But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain

Daily bread, give us daily bread
Bless our bodies, keep our children fed
Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
Wrap us up and warm us through
Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time

Or maybe not, not today
maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better  view if no roof is overhead
And if we never taste that bread

Oh, the differences that often are between
What we want and what we really need

So grant us peace, Jesus, grant us peace
Move our hearts to hear a single beat
Between alibis and enemies tonight

Or maybe not, not today
Peace might be anther world away
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to trust in You
That we are blessed beyond what we could ever dream
In abundance or in need
And if You never grant us peace

But Jesus, would You, please...

On a completely different not, I have to add a shout-out to LaShazda my Mazda - happy ten year anniversary!

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally in love with that song. You put it on a mix cd you made for me when I studied abroad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm listening to the song for the first time as I'm reading the lyrics, and it's beautiful! I feel like I'm learning so much about praising God regardless of circumstances because He's always worthy, not because we get what we want. Seems like I'm constantly hearing from other people how they continue to hope & praise the Lord in situations that are so hard. That's a lot of rambling to say "thanks for posting this song". :)

    ReplyDelete