Friday, May 31, 2013

A Nugget

I've been reading through the prayers in The Valley of Vision lately, and loved the end of the one I read this morning:

"...keep me always longing 
For a present salvation in Holy Spirit comforts and rejoicings,
For spiritual graces and blessings,
For help to value my duties as well as my privileges.

May I cherish simplicity and godly sincerity of character.

Help me to be in reality before thee as in appearance I am before men,
To be religious before I profess religion,
To leave the world before I enter the church,
To set my affections on things above,
To shun forbidden follies and vanities,
To be a dispenser as well as a partaker of grace,
To be prepared to bear evil as well as to do good.

O God, make me worthy of this calling,
That the name of Jesus may be glorified in me and I in him."

-from "A Present Salvation"

1 comment: