Saturday, July 17, 2010

Avocados

Amber, this is for you!

As I've said before, we love avocados around the Wright household, especially at $.44 a pop at Wal-Mart. Some of our favorite recipes are:

Our favorite guacamole is Tomato-Avocado Salsamole from the You: On Diet recipe list.We've tried several guacamole recipes, and this is by far our favorite. It's basically guacamole with tomato chunks, and they just add a little more flavor. AND it's healthy. Of course, they also suggest that you eat it with toasted whole wheat pita bread instead of tortilla chips, but that's only a suggestion.

1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tsp minced jalapeno, or more to taste
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and coarsely mashed
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Mix first six ingredients together in a bowl. Add last three; stir well. Serve immediately.



I got this Chicken and Avocado Pasta recipe from the Lake Charles Junior League cookbook (one of the most beautifully photographed cookbooks I've seen). The avocados give it such a rich, creamy texture, but it's oh-so-much healthier than heavy cream.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
Salt and pepper to taste
Tony's to taste
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 (12-oz) package tri-color spiral pasta, cooked al dente and drained
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup ranch salad dressing
1 can pitted small black olives, drained
1 small jar pitted green olives, drained and sliced
3 avocados, sliced

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and season generously with Tony's. Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the chicken and saute until brown and cooked through. Combine the pasta, olive oil and salad dressing in a serving bowl. Season with Tony's and toss to coat. Add the olives, avocados and chicken and toss to ix. Serve immediately or chill for 2 hours before serving.



This recipe I tried for the first time this morning, but I just had to include it. I was searching earlier this week for a kiwi smoothie recipe, and stumbled onto a recipe for an Avocado Banana Kiwi smoothie.

It's weird, I know.

The result? It's...fine. Not at all bad. But it didn't have quite enough flavor for me. A comment on the blog suggested serving it garnished with berries or mint, and I can see how that would improve the flavor.



Most of the time we eat avocados, though, we just add them as an extra. Some things we like them on:

All things Mexican (fajitas, tacos, nachos, etc.)
Turkey sandwiches
Eggs Benedict

Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man oh man! If I had not just gone to the grocery store THIS MORNING, I would have planned to make some of these this week... but NEXT week!...

    WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I eat them plain. Or make avocado sandwiches with salt, pepper, and sprouts on them. Why are they so good!?

    ReplyDelete