Fall is so nostalgic for me.
It’s when Clint and I started dating.
It’s when we moved to Nashville.
It’s when we moved to Tyler.
The leaves start changing, and I think of late night talks on the Bagby Place swing, hiking in the Smokies, and discovering butternut squash.
More recently, I think of reconnecting with old friends and family.
This will be my sixth of the last seven falls to visit my bro and his fam in Connecticut. I would love to have them closer, but I sure would miss New England in the fall. It's hard for me to imagine an October without hitting the outlets with my sister-in-law, driving through the country with the bro, and teaching my niece all sorts of bad habits. (Two more weeks!)
Last year, Clint and I went to Baylor’s Homecoming for the first time since graduation and were reminded of why we bleed green and gold - mainly, the people (it's definitely not because of their football team).
My mom got to stay with me for a week while Clint was recruiting, and we were as productive as ever. We planted a shady flower bed in the backyard (picture to come), she stocked my freezer while I worked every afternoon, and I caught her up on all the latest tv shows. In a few weeks, we'll get to hang out in Big D with Clint's fam.
Last year, Clint and I went to Baylor’s Homecoming for the first time since graduation and were reminded of why we bleed green and gold - mainly, the people (it's definitely not because of their football team).
My mom got to stay with me for a week while Clint was recruiting, and we were as productive as ever. We planted a shady flower bed in the backyard (picture to come), she stocked my freezer while I worked every afternoon, and I caught her up on all the latest tv shows. In a few weeks, we'll get to hang out in Big D with Clint's fam.
Last weekend, I got to have lunch with my grandparents and spend a Girls Weekend with another old friend. We saw Social Network, made crafty fall wreaths, and just sat around and chatted.
One of the things we talked about was how hard it can be to make new friends. Besides the rarity of finding someone you instantly click with, it just takes a while to get comfortable. It takes a while to be able to do nothing together, to not feel like you have to entertain. There's something re-energizing about connecting with friends who have known you for several falls.
I knew this was my favorite season for a reason.
I knew this was my favorite season for a reason.
On a side note, I just have to say that Misti, Greg, and Clint – your fellow nerdiness keeps me sane. Thank you.
Haha, thank YOU.
ReplyDeleteWeird, I thought about that same conversation several times last week.
To many more falls!
"Besides the rarity of finding someone you instantly click with, it just takes a while to get comfortable. It takes a while to be able to do nothing together, to not feel like you have to entertain. There's something re-energizing about connecting with friends who have known you for several falls.
ReplyDeleteI knew this was my favorite season for a reason."
I just finished one of these treasured weekends myself :) Mind if I gank this as a quote on my blog when I get ready to post pics?
~Amber's friend :)
Of course! It would make my day!
ReplyDeleteJust catching up on your posts. Can't wait till you come--one more week! I gotta get me some burlap...
ReplyDeletefall is also my favorite, and you are definitely one of my favorite friends to do nothing with, agreed that it's a rarity! Love you!
ReplyDelete