Sunday, January 9, 2011

A First Time for Everything

I do not like salads. At all. The only ones even halfway appetizing to me are those that have more calories than the cheese fries. In which case, why not just order the cheese fries? I really do try. I think it has something to do with temperature; cold foods just do not equal filling in my book, especially this time of the year.

However, my foodie husband recently discovered a wonderful fall/winter salad that satisfies even me. I have now eaten it voluntarily two days in a row, even though we have leftover pizza in the frig.

Here's the secret combo:

Romaine or spinach
Chopped up Granny Smith apples
Cubes of cheddar (indescribably better than shredded)
Dried cranberries
Walnuts or pecans
And the clincher, homemade cranberry-balsamic salad dressing from America's Test Kitchen

Dressing recipe:
  • 2 cups cranberry juice
  • 3 T. balsamic vinegar
  • 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 T minced shallot
  • 1 t minced fresh thyme or 1/4 t dried
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t pepper
1. Simmer cranberry juice over medium heat until slightly thickened and reduced to 2/3 cup, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.

2. Shake the chilled, thickened juice with the remaining ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid until combined. Bring to room temperature, then shake vigorously to recombine before using.

It's the perfect complement to a hot, meaty soup! (Speaking of which, we have a pot of Pioneer Woman's chili on the stove, a fire roaring in the fireplace, and snow piling up on our front lawn. What a great Sunday afternoon!)

1 comment:

  1. As soon as salad sounds good again, I am definitely trying this one! I agree on your cubed vs shredded theory. How did the chili turn out!? We have never tried her recipe. But everything by PW that I've tried has gotten standing ovations, so I bet it was fab!

    ReplyDelete