Sunday, September 4, 2011

Reading List



I have long been a fan of children's books. By far my favorite part of working in publishing was working with our children's publishers and putting together the children's catalog each season. However, all books are not created equal. I have a definite bent toward the tried-and-true classics that most of us read when we were younger. I've always joked (well, semi-joked) that our kids are going to have reading lists before they turn a year old.

Actually, before they're born. Here's a first stab at the picture books I think no child should be without (I have a more complete list that I got from a children's editor, but these are the highlights):


(for girls)  
(mainly for boys)


love Eric Carle


And of course Goodnight Moon, the Olivia Books, and all things Dr. Seuss.


Some of the books that are the most nostalgic for me:




And my all time favorite growing up:

(Fun fact - Dr. Seuss originally wrote it under his real name, Theo LeSieg; only the newer versions say "Dr. Seuss" on the cover!)


What are your favorites?

1 comment:

  1. Ella's amazon list is enormous! She has a few already, but the library has lots more growing to do...

    Corduroy
    Peter Rabbit/Benjamin Bunny stories
    Shel Silverstein poems
    The Velveteen Rabbit
    Loads of Dr. Seuss, obviously :)

    What were those we used to laugh at so much...the true big bad wolf story and the one with the stinky cheese man? Haha

    ReplyDelete