"If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."
During a Bible study last fall, our leader gave us what was possibly my favorite homework assignment ever. She called them the Five Fat Folders. (I think you could add a lot more adjectives in there - how about the Five Fabulously Fun Fantastic Farout Folders?) It's the perfect combination of goal-setting, list-making, and super cute school supplies. (Those of you who don't get a rush from going to office stores, this post is not for you.)
The assignment is this:
Step 1 - Get out a sheet of paper and brainstorm things you want to be good at. Preferably, things that matter, things of eternal value (although I think almost anything can fit this description). What do you want to improve? What do you want be known for? We all have friends that come to mind when we think of specific topics - children, Emily; cooking, Misti; hospitality, other Emily. What is it that you want your name associated with? Some examples:
- Practical - hospitality, health, child-raising, homemaking, Bible study methods
- Theological - attributes of God, faith, fruit of the Spirit
- Ministry - counseling, teaching, women's ministry
Step 2 - Narrow your list to the top five. Don't cheat on this. If you aim at nothing, you may hit it, but if you aim at everything...well that's just overwhelming. And don't choose the ones you think you're supposed to. Pick ones that genuinely interest you, that you could have fun with.
Step 3 - Find five super fun and inspiring folders. Even Wal-mart has fun options these days, but there are a plethora of options. These are from Target:
And I love all things Jonathan Adler at Barnes and Noble:
You can even get file folders in your favorite Vera Bradley print!
I found these gems at Spice in Waco and spent more any that I ever thought I'd spend on file folders. Totally worth it.
Step 4 - Now you become the expert! Fill each folder with everything you can find on that subject - magazine articles, quotes, Scripture, news clippings. Read books, attend seminars, stalk other people who are good at it. Maybe even teach on your topics?
And in two years, be incredibly proud of yourself if you've even improved in one your Fabulously Fun Five areas. At least you're going in the right direction!
Full disclosure: I have labeled my folders, and I did make a list of ideas of what to put in them. Six months ago. And I still haven't fleshed them out or really even looked at them since. BUT. One day I will. And then I will have something else to write a post about.



Cooking and me? Yay! Although Alan might disagree with ya. We sure eat a lot of cold cereal around here :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this idea. And I definitely get high on shopping for office/school supplies.
I hope I'm the hospitality Emily & not the children Emily or you really don't know me at all, hahaha. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the full disclosure at the end, I can also really appreciate getting completely set up to fulfill an amazing plan, and then putting it aside, hoping I'll pick it up again & make my preparation efforts worth it!