Overall, I'm a fan. The finale was extremely emotionally satisfying. To me, the show can be summed up with the classic episode title, "Live Together, Die Alone." Ultimately, Lost was about the characters and the relationships that they built. Love that.
Random thoughts:
- I am so, so glad and grateful that the island world was real. The show as we saw it actually happened. Thank you, Darlton.
- Sayid ended up with Shannon instead of Nadia? Really?
- I've heard some observations that the sideways world, or the afterlife, was about being rewarded for good works. I disagree - I think the afterlife was more about relationships than good works. Although, if I'm right, isolationists Rose and Bernard maybe shouldn't have been a part of the afterlife community...
- I like that no one character was omniscient, or all-knowing. Jacob, Smokey, Widmore, Desmond, Jack - to a certain extent, all of their theories were wrong.
- Satisfied that the Jack/Kate/Sawyer/Juliet love quadrangle ended the way it did.
- “I have a bad feeling about this.” Star Wars, anyone? I laughed out loud the entire commercial break.
- Note to Jimmy Kimmel – Christianity is NOT about earning your salvation.
- In the end, bad boys Ben and Sayid both got their redemption. Very satisfying.
- I still wish I had more closure with Desmond and Penny, Eloise and Widmore, and Daniel and Charlotte. Which leads me to...
- Favorite theory by Doc Jensen -
"Ben will become another Desmond. He has a job: to chase after and gather his own spiritual clan and bestow upon them enlightenment. Those members could very well include all or some the following: his father, Roger Linus, Rousseau, Alex, Richard, Charles Widmore, Eloise Hawking, Daniel Faraday, Charlotte Lewis, Miles, Dr. Pierre Chang, Ethan, and of course, Annie... wherever she is."
- Themes I liked:
- We all need other people (the repetition of “help” in the finale).
- We’re all flawed.
- “It only ends once; the rest is just progress.” Jacob's reign was improved over his mother's (candidates now had a choice). Hurley will continue to improve upon Jacob's reign (letting people leave the island, etc).
- The constant tensions – between faith and reason, fate and choice
- The only true happy ending, the only true hope, lies in eternity. Yes, what they did on the island mattered, but only as far as it affected eternity. In the case of the show, What Mattered was primarily relationships.
- (My only deep theological application) - I thought the show portrayed fate versus free will similarly to my interpretation of the Bible. Ephesians 2:10 says that we were "created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them." First Jack, and then Hurley, were meant to protect the island. That is the good work they were created for. But they still had to choose whether or not to accept it, to walk in it. I believe that they could have chosen to say no, although with potentially devastating consequences.
Questions I Still Have:
- With Smokey dead, what is Hurley still protecting the island from?
- Why was Eloise so determined to stop Desmond from “knowing”?
- What did the producers have figured out from the beginning? That there would be an afterlife? While a good way to bring closure, was it even necessary to the show?
- In season four, why couldn’t Ben kill Widmore?
- In the same episode, who “changed the rules”?
- What was the deal with Walt and Aaron? Why were they “special”?
Thoughts?
Not suprisingly, we agree on just about everything.
ReplyDeleteI think Hurley is going to protect the island from whatever people come, see and experience the light, and "want more" of it. I heard somewhere (Jay and Jack?) that maybe since Hurley made his own rules, he made the sideways world and sent Desmond to help everyone connect.
The John Locke revelation had me in tears. He wiggled his toes just like in the sand on the island. Ahhh I love it! Jack's death march got to me, too. I liked Doc J's mention of the side wound and the doubting Thomas parallel.
I loved that on Kimmel, Widmore said he still wasn't sure if he was truly good or bad. Join the club, buddy.
I 100% don't believe they had this all figured out from the start. Too many things were sloppy. I have a list. Ha! That being said, the show was always more of a character study for me. And the characters I really care about were wrapped up perfectly. I still think it's the best show ever!
And I so laughed at the Star Wars refs.
i also was satisfied with the ending, but i have to say that i completely gave up on any kind of theories or trying to figure things out in season 6 - i thought that as a season it was incredibly disappointing, to the point of boring, after so much action in the beginning. i even stopped caring about characters, so sad! i'm satisfied with the end, but i kind of came to the conclusion that there was a lot less to figure out than we were all trying to figure out, and that they still left so many things unanswered. by season 4, i was so excited to see where this amazingly intelligent maze of scenarios was taking us & feel like it ultimately took us no where. i agree with both of you that there's no way this was all decided from the beginning because the end lost so much momentum. my only question was why weren't michael & walt in the church in the end?
ReplyDelete