So I said I liked gardening; I didn't say I was good at it.
I have what we'll call a brown thumb. Plants don't last long around the Wright home. In the past two years we've planted a total of seven blueberry bushes; zero of them are still alive. The most recent casualties, however, were a result of a mowing accident, not my brown thumb, so I guess we're headed in the right direction.
But I refuse to quit trying. One of these days, the plants will surely make it.
My most recent attempt has been a new flower bed to add some zest to our curb appeal. The front of our house is tolerable, but fairly boring. Unicolor, neutral house, boxwoods all lined in a row. No color whatsoever.
Last week, my manual labor, aka my precious husband who doesn't understand the satisfaction of yardwork quite as much as I do, spent one of his days off tilling up dirt and mixing it with composted manure. I pulled up millions of roots and rocks and browsed the huge local plant farm until the rain forced me out, and spent the most satisfying afternoon ever planting my flower bed. I'm inexplicably proud of this little bed, and if I can keep it alive through the sweltering Texas summer, I'll be walking on air. Here’s my finished product:
Ta-da! Now if only I can keep it all alive.
I added hanging the baskets a few months ago, and have been pleasantly surprised at how long they’ve survived. The potted plant by the door is supposed to have a twin on the other side of the bay window, but it died, and Lowes won't sell that kind of plant again until the fall. Arg.
My other plans for the front include, after a good power-washing, painting the front door and trim. A champagne, taupe color for the trim around the door (and maybe the shutters if I’m feeling bold), and the door either a red or a sage green. And a wreath for each season. Speaking of which, I’d like feedback.
- A – Red door or green door?
- B – Anybody have good wreath inspiration?
yay! I so love your blog! Glad you are posting again friend. I can't make up my mind about the door, I can picture it either way... and they both look awesome. Super impressed with the gardening skils.
ReplyDeleteRed Door! And wreaths to compliment each season/nearby holiday. :) If you have ample storage for said assortment of wreaths...
ReplyDeleteI second the red door! And a neutral, earthy wreath. I make a different one every season for about $20.
ReplyDeleteAny ideas for a summer wreath?
ReplyDeleteI love Martha...I made one for Fall using her ideas last year. I bet there are some good ideas for Summer on her site.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.marthastewart.com/wreath-making
Let's have a wreath-making party :)
I love your house, so cute! I'm SO IMPRESSED at your flowerbed. As one who abhors working in the garden, I'm truly amazed!
ReplyDeleteMy vote: red door
Wreaths: I know nothing about wreaths