Monday, August 15, 2011

Songs

WE MADE IT!!! Summer is over for us! It was a very sweet, rewarding summer at camp, but we are extremely excited to get back to some semblance of a normal life after a quick escape from the heat later this week. Colorado, here we come!

I wrote this a while ago but never got around to clicking "publish." A few weeks ago after an exhausting few days, physically and emotionally and everything else, I got in my car one morning and decided to forgo the iPod and pull out an old favorite CD, Songs by Rich Mullins. It made my week. I love how nostalgic it is, I love the lyrics, and I love that he includes Scripture for every song.  Some of my favorite lines:

"Sometimes the climb can be so steep. I may falter in my steps, but never beyond Your reach."

"When you love you walk on water
 Just don't stumble on the waves
We all want to go there somethin' awful
But to stand there it takes some grace
Cause oh we are not as strong as we think we are"

"The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the Giver of all good things"

"So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That You will pull me through
And if I can't let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to You
If I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
But if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home"

"And in every footprint that you leave
There'll be a drop of grace
If we can reach beyond the wisdom of this age
Into the foolishness of God
That foolishness will save those who believe
Although their foolish hearts may break
They will find peace"

"How the Lord takes by its corners this old world
And shakes us forward - shakes us free
To run wild with the hope
The hope that this thirst will not last long
That it will soon drown in the song not sung in vain"

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight you for something I don't really want
Than take what You give that I need"

3 comments:

  1. Classics for sure.

    Have fun in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best albums of all time! In fact I would say that my top 3 albums are (in no particular order):
    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Rich Mullins - Songs (Although I think A Liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band is on par with Songs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...that's quite the combination! No Garth in there?

    ReplyDelete